Total Pageviews

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Power House Cafe

Approximately 1.1 miles from Rollins, 2 min away.

This restaurant has been a "must stop" for students, professors, and locals for the better part of 30 years in Winter Park. Anyone who has visited this wonderful health driven restaurant have met and fallen in love with George and Chris the Owners/Brothers of this fine establishment. These two brothers have really figured out how to perfect "simple but amazing".

Hours of Operation: M-F 8:30am to 7:0
0pm; S-S 10:00am to 5:00pm

Located in the heart of Old Winter Park at 111 E. Lyman Ave. 32789

The decor has a very simple but welcoming feel to it. The kitchen is made up of a sandwich station that doubles as a deli bar, taking up almost the entire part of the entrance and foyer. There is nothing fancy about the interior at all, I would not recommend Power House for a romantic dinner for two.

Over the past 10 years that I have been frequenting this establishment I have tried everything on the menu at lease once. I do have my favorites though. On my last visit I went all out and had a 3 course meal. I started with the home made Lentil soup 12oz ($4.25) this delicious starter comes in two sizes 8oz and 120z and is served with sliced pita bread. For my main course I had the Power House Chicken Sandwich ($7.50), this is served in a pita with either
iceberg lettuce or fresh sprouts; I chose to enjoy it with sprouts, it also has avocado, cucumber, and home made tubule. I finished off my healthy three courser with a Good Karma frozen delicacy ($4.65), which is a smoothie blended with papaya, strawberry, banana, and finished with peanut butter and honey.

There are some negatives to this establishment that I would like to point out, not many, but I feel like I would be lying (omission is a lie) if I did not tell all. The main one is that George all though lovable sometimes forgets that people do not want to stay in the restaurant all day; the service can tend to be on the slow side. If you are looking for a place to go for a quick bite this is not a place you should be dining at. Don't get me wrong, for me the food is worth the wait, but there will definitely with be a wait. (even if there is no one else in the restaurant. The only other set back is that every ticket is rang in by hand, which means that checking out will take a little longer and don't forget to double check everything that you are charged for because more then once I have been charged more then I should have.

As I said at the top of this review this restaurant has been here 30 years, they are doing something right. The food is great, the service is warm and welcoming, just a little on the slow side, over all I would say that if you are in Winter Park this restaurant is a must try.

1 comment:

  1. The food is delicious and healthy. I love the Power House Chicken Salad and the Power House Fuel. My favorite smoothie is the Good Carma. It is so yummy! I find the service to be great. Everyone is attentive and for a place where each meal is made to order, it is fast.

    ReplyDelete